Kindergarten at Gloria Dei
Our Kindergarten program at Gloria Dei is aimed to have academically appropriate learning in a fun, safe environment where our young children can grow, learn, and thrive to ensure they are ready to succeed in the schooling that follows.
There is still room for fall 2018! Request a tour today!
Gloria Dei offers Kindergarten for both 4-year-olds (sometimes called "Pre-Kindergarten" or "Transitional Kindergarten") and 5-year-olds. Both programs have similar focuses, but are appropriate for the developmental needs of the children in the class.
Our 4-year-old Kindergartners have a variety of flexible schedules available. You may choose from between 3 to 5 days a week, and a daily schedule that is a half-day (ending at 12:00pm) or a full-day (ending at 3:30pm). Our faculty will work with you to determine the best fit to meet your schedule needs as well as ensure your child's academic needs are being met.
New in 2017-18: Our 5-year-old Kindergarten program will offer a flexible schedule in addition to the 5 full days option (8:30am to 3:30pm). This new schedule allows students to join us for 5 mornings and 3 afternoons per week, attempting to help students transition from a part-time to a full-time schedule by first grade.
Our Kindergarten program is designed to care for the whole child and is crafted to meet every aspect of that care. It includes:
- A literacy-rich environment
- Hands-on, creative learning
- An emphasis on social & emotional development
- A safe family environment
- Low student-to-teacher ratio
- A quality music program
Is my child ready for Kindergarten?
Many parents have concerns about whether or not their child is ready to begin Kindergarten, especially for the 4-year-old class. Here's a check list to see if he or she is ready to join us:
- Will your child be 4 by September 1 (for 4-year-old Kindergarten) or 5 by September 1 (for 5-year-old Kindergarten)?
Is your child self-sufficient at using the bathroom?
Is your child able to verbalize his/her needs?
Does your child show a desire to learn? To attend school? To socialize with other children?
Is your child able to follow simple directions?
If you answered "yes" to all of the above questions, your child is probably ready for Kindergarten!
Our Daily routine
- builds a foundation of literacy
- teaches the basics of the calendar
- utilizes social skills
- teaches about our Savior
- shows how to share His love with others in our daily lives
- explore learning through hands-on, active experiences
- strengthen fine motor and technological skills
- support early academic skills
- are individualized to meet the needs of each child
Movement & recess:
- build large motor skills
- encourage a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise
- give opportunity for students to explore the outdoors
- provides countless opportunities for learning through imaginative play, creative expression, social problem solving, and student choice
- gives students the chance to explore and apply their knowledge of the world
- introduces basic music concepts
- teaches familiar Bible and children's songs
Kindergarten-level math, reading, science, and social studies lessons:
- provide more in-depth learning experiences for our kindergarten students
- are crafted to meet each student's level of readiness and understanding throughout the year
- encourage collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity to make sense of our world
- work together to provide challenges in STEM learning